If you’re injured in a car or other type of accident, you will want to get the maximum compensation for your injuries. There are several key things you can do to increase the amount of compensation you receive.
The first thing you must do is try to keep a clear head. The following are some of the main things you can do to help your lawyer help you in your accident injury case.
How to Protect Yourself After an Accident Injury
* Hire an experienced personal injury lawyer. The lawyer you select to handle your case can make a big difference in how much compensation you receive. Hiring a law firm that’s handled many accident cases, like our firm, is a tremendous asset when making a claim to an insurance company. Insurance companies have teams of lawyers working to lower accident payouts, and your own lawyer’s skills, training and experience in dealing with insurance companies can pay off for you in the form of a much higher financial recovery.
* Take photos of your injuries while they’re fresh. A picture is worth a thousand words, and this is especially true in accident cases. Photos showing your injuries while they are fresh can convey their nature and severity to an insurance company or court.
* Tell your doctor about all your injuries. Many accident victims downplay injuries when visiting their doctor, thinking they’ll look weak. But this is a bad idea. If your doctor isn’t aware of an injury and it goes untreated, the injury could get much worse. Also, your doctor’s notes and reports serve as evidence of your injuries, so if these reports omit injuries, you likely won’t get compensated for them.
* Wait for a fair settlement. Some accident victims want to accept a fast settlement just to end the matter. But if you settle too soon, you’ll likely pay some of the accident costs yourself. Remember that many injuries take time to develop, so a person’s medical costs, lost wages and other things that go into figuring what’s full compensation takes time to be known. It’s much wiser not to settle your claim until you know the full extent of your injuries and damages.
* Act fast. The sooner you seek legal help, the sooner your lawyer can start working on your case and the more likely you’ll avoid doing something that hurts your case.
These are some of the key things to do after an accident to help increase your compensation. Taking the proper steps after an accident can help you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries and losses.
You Need Great Legal Advice…
You need someone who is on your side and knows exactly what they’re doing. Barry R. Rabovsky only represents injured individuals and their families. With more than 29 years of experience as a personal injury attorney in the Chicago metropolitan area, he is well known and highly regarded. He is an aggressive, skilled trial lawyer with a reputation for excellence that makes his retention a key to success in complex, adversarial personal injury proceedings. Contact Barry today toll-free at (800) 822-4321 for a free, no-obligation consultation.