Everyone needs a lawyer some time. For most people, this also includes a personal injury lawyer, either to help make a claim after an accident or to help defend a claim made against them. Most people don’t know all the things a lawyer does for them.
How A Lawyer Helps You After An Accident
* Recommend doctors and other health care providers to treat you.
* Evaluate your claim and tell you how much money you are entitled to receive. Your lawyer knows the law and can tell if you have a strong case and how much compensation you should receive. In contrast, insurance adjusters like to say your case is weak and that you aren’t entitled to much money. They do this because they work for the insurance company, not you. By having your lawyer evaluate your claim and tell you what the law entitles you to receive, you’re more likely to get the maximum compensation.
* Explain your legal rights and duties. You have many important rights after an accident, including the right to consult your lawyer before answering questions from the other side or an insurance company and, in most states, the right to receive damages even if you partly caused the accident. Not knowing all your rights can cause you to make a serious mistake that lowers or even eliminates your recovery.
* Advise you who else may be liable to you. In many accident cases, more than one party is legally liable. Your lawyer can advise you which parties are liable in your accident case. This is especially useful when one of the parties is unable to pay for all your damages.
* Investigate. Your lawyer can help investigate to find out information that is unknown or unclear, identify and interview witnesses, get copies of police reports or medical files and do legal research as well.
* Help collect evidence. Apart from investigating, to make a claim or settlement proposal you need evidence to prove your case. Your lawyer helps you collect evidence by advising what information needs to be obtained, and ways to obtain it.
* Handle calls and negotiate with insurance companies. Not only will this lower the time you spend on the matter, but your lawyer is experienced dealing with insurance companies and won’t be tricked by methods and tactics they use to delay or lower accident payouts.
* Help you get your car fixed, or get compensation if it can’t be fixed. Your lawyer can also help with your property damage claim.
* Help you get the maximum amount of compensation. Accident victims are often entitled to be paid for many things, including medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering. Your lawyer will help make sure not to miss a category of loss that you are entitled to be paid for.
* Help you get more money than if you handle your claim alone. Studies have been done comparing amounts received by accident victims who handle claims alone with those who use a lawyer. They consistently show that accident victims who use a lawyer obtain more money.
* Loyalty and confidentiality. Your lawyer provides all these services with the benefits of loyalty to you, and confidentiality. Under the law and rules of legal ethics, you can trust that what you and your lawyer discuss in confidence will stay secret.
These are just some of the ways a lawyer helps you after an accident. A lawyer makes recovering damages easier and reduces the time you spend on the matter. Also — and perhaps most importantly — you will likely receive more compensation than if you handle your claim alone.
You Need Great Legal Advice…
You need someone who is on your side and knows exactly what they’re doing. Barry R. Rabovsky only represents injured individuals and their families. With more than 29 years of experience as a personal injury attorney in the Chicago metropolitan area, he is well known and highly regarded. He is an aggressive, skilled trial lawyer with a reputation for excellence that makes his retention a key to success in complex, adversarial personal injury proceedings. Contact Barry today toll-free at (800) 822-4321 for a free, no-obligation consultation.